Photo courtesy of Pixabay.
The last four to six weeks of the year do seem to run on their own timetable, don’t they? With multiple winter holidays happening during December, it’s easy to assume that any career management efforts we might make at this time would be better reserved for just after the new year.
But if you go along with that belief … oh, how you’re missing out! According to Nicole Cavazos, writing on the ZipRecruiter site, a survey by online executive career network ExecuNet says that 69 percent of recruiters report placing as many, or more, candidates in December as in any other month.
The ZipRecruiter article goes on to say that December job hunters have a strategic advantage if they keep up their career search during the last month of the year:
- There are tons of holiday-related parties and other social events, at which you can do some networking in a casual environment.
- Many businesses need temporary or seasonal employees, offering a way to pick up some quick cash and try an employer on for size.
- As noted above, lots of people think December is a terrible month to job hunt, so they don’t. If you do, the competition you face may be greatly reduced!
- The managers hiring during this month tend to be in a great mood - whether it’s because they’ve caught the holiday spirit, or they’re excited about some upcoming vacation time!
- Employers like to be ready at the start of January, and you can be top-of-mind if you’ve made an effort to connect with them during the holidays.
The ASU Alumni Association’s Alumni Career Services program will be offering several live and online events this month, so get out there and make the most of this festive time of year! You could very well get to New Year’s Eve with something extra to celebrate - a new job!
Join this alumni-only exclusive event and ramp up your career prospects! Representatives from companies in the education, investment banking, marketing, technology, media, consulting, healthcare, sales, government and nonprofit sectors will be on hand to discuss job openings and career paths with their organizations.
Virtual Career Workshops
Looking for some resume tips? Aren't sure how to prepare for your next interview? What about how to negotiate a pay package? Don't miss out on this incredible opportunity to connect with ASU Career Advisors!
Weekly Webinar Series Topics
These webinars will help you get ready to show your best professional face to the world, interview well, and land your dream career!
- Dec. 7 - Interviewing For Your Perfect Career
- Dec. 14 - Rock Your LinkedIn Profile
Career coaching for Sun Devil alumni - now available on demand!
ASU career advisors offer professional guidance in all aspects of career development including resume writing, interview preparation and job search strategies. To learn more about career advising, including how to make an appointment to meet with a career advisor at one of ASU’s four campuses or remotely, visit Sun Devil CareerLink at https://eoss.asu.edu/cs/sdcl.
~ Liz Massey, Managing Editor, ASU Alumni Association